Brandon Bernard

YPC News

Brandon Bernard

관리자 0

151e28e00dbc7ae965bc31350137fd6c_1609792841_5168.jpg

On Human Rights Day, December 10, 2020, Brandon Bernard was executed for a crime that he committed 21 years ago when he was 18. 

Brandon Bernard was an accomplice to the murder of a couple. Bernard and four other teenagers carjacked Todd and Stacie Bagley and rode around in their car while the couple was in the trunk. Christopher Viala, who was executed in September, shot the couple in the head while Bernard was forced to set the car on fire. At the time, it was said that Todd died before the fire because of the impact of the gunshot, but that Stacie died in the fire. However, recent evidence confirms that both Todd and Stacie died before Bernard set fire to the car. Five of the nine jurors in the 1999 trial said that they would not have convicted Bernard if they had known that Stacie died before the fire. No statement was given for the 3 other men who were involved in the crime. 

There were many petitions to save Bernard, and celebrities like Kim Kardashian West sent out a series of tweets explaining why Bernard should not be executed. West also made a tweet directed towards Trump asking him to let Bernard “live out his sentence in prison.” Unfortunately, Brandon Bernard was pronounced dead at 9:27 p.m. EST with his last words being, “I’m sorry.” 

After Bernard’s death West tweeted out, “I stand by what I have always said, I can empathize and feel pain for the victims and their families.  Killing Brandon will not bring them back and I believe in my heart of hearts killing him isn’t right. What Brandon did was wrong, but killing him won’t make things right.”

Numerous people on social media are voicing their disappointment in America’s government and judicial system.  

Brandon Bernard, rest in peace.

by Ellie Park 

151e28e00dbc7ae965bc31350137fd6c_1609792693_9771.jpg

0 Comments
Facebook Twitter KakaoStory KakaoTalk NaverBand