Common App essay prompts - 공통지원서의 에세이 주제 변화

에듀인포

belt-heung-hp.png

Common App essay prompts - 공통지원서의 에세이 주제 변화

관리자 0

2017-2018 공통지원서의 에세이주제 변화 

8dc423cdb842324427a88d90c3420bad_1487878776_19.jpg

올 가을(2017-2018) 대학 입학지원자들이 작성해야 하는 공통지원서의 에세이 주제(prompt)에 변화가 생겼다.

지원자가 본인의 체험을 폭넓게 쓸 수있도록 주제 범위를 확대해서 지원자의 성향을 쉽게 파악할 수 있도록 개정된 2015-2016년의 주제를 다시 보완, 추가한 것이다.

700여 개의 대학에서 채택하고 있는공통지원서에서 무엇이 변화되었는지, 그리고 중요한 것은 무엇인지 자세히 살펴 보았다.

what's (app)ening?

이번 에세이 주제의 변화 이유는 대규모설문조사에 따른 피드백이다.

공통지원서를 사용하는 대학 108곳과 고교 대입 카운슬러, 학생 등을 포함한 5000명을 대상으로 조사한 결과와 이사회, 자문위원의 의견이 반영된 것이다. 설문 참가자는 학생이 59%, 카운슬러 23%, 교사 11% 순이다. 

설문조사 결과, 공통지원서를 사용하는대학91%, 응답자의 90%가 에세이 주제에 만족감을 표시했다. 하지만 3가지 주제의 개선을 포함해 주제를 보강해야 한다는 의견이많았다.

따라서 The CommonApplication 측은 카운슬러 및 자문위원회 입학 담당관들과의 긴밀한 협의를 통해학생들이 자신들을 표현할 수 있는 기회를 확대하는 방향으로 에세이 주제를 수정했다. 기존의 주제를 손보는 것과 동시에 새로운 주제 2개를 제시했다.새로운 주제의 첫 번째 질문은 학생들에게 지적 호기심의 예를 제시할 것을 요청하는 주제이며 두 번째는 학생들이 선택한 주제에 대해 자신의 창의력뿐만아니라 여러 출처에서 영감을 얻어 재구성된 에세이를 쓰는 것이다.

The Common Application 측은 "추가된 질문을 통해 입학사정관은 지원자의지적 호기심을 가늠해 볼 수 있도록 했으며 스스로의 창의력 외에도 다양한 리소스를 통해 배운 경험을 볼 수 있도록 질문을 추가했다"고 설명했다.

각 주제 당 650자 이내로 쓰는 것은종전과 같다. 

2017-2018 에세이 주제는 다음과같다. (변경된 부분은 밑줄로 표기했다.)

2017-2018 Common Application Essay Prompts

1.Some students have a background,identity, interest or talent that is so meaningful they believe theirapplication would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, thenplease share your story. [변화 없음]  

(자신의 배경, 관심사, 재능 등을 지원서에 꼭 반영해야 한다는 의견에 대한 생각)

2.The lessons we take from obstacles weencounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a        time when you faced achallenge, setback or failure. How did it affect you, and what didyou learn from the experience? [수정] (어려움을 경험하면서 얻은 교훈과 이같은 경험이 자신에게 미친 영향)

3. Reflect on a time when you questionedor challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was theoutcome? [수정]

(어떠한 신념이나 견해에 도전한 경험이 자신에게 미친 영향과 교훈)

4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or aproblem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a researchquery, an ethical dilemma — anything that is of personal importance, no matterthe scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could betaken to identify a solution. [변화 없음]

(자신이 해결했던 문제 또는 해결하고싶은 문제에 대해 구체적인 서술.) 

5. Discuss an accomplishment, event or realizationthat sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself orothers. [수정]

(개인적 성장을 가져다 준 깨달음이나사건, 성취 등에 관한 서술)

6. Describe a topic, idea or concept youfind so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivateyou? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [새로운 주제]

(시간 가는 줄도 모르고 푹 빠지게 하는주제나 생각,개념들을 서술)

7. Share an essay on any topic of yourchoice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a differentprompt, or one of your own design. [새로운 주제]

(원하는 주제를 골라 자유롭게 서술)

주제들 모두 즉흥적으로 적을 수 있는내용들이 아니기 때문에 평상시에 계속 생각하고, 좋은 아이디어가 떠오를 때마다 메모하는 준비가 필요하다. 남들과 차별화된 에세이를 쓰기 위해서는 자신만의 생각들을 모아 초안을 만드는 것이 좋은 방법이다. 

초안을 잡은 후에는 문장 하나, 단어하나를 신중하게 선택해서 에세이 주제에 맞게 잘 작성되었는지 점검하는 과정이 이어진다. 문법, 맞춤법, 구두점 등 세세한 부분까지 확인해서 실수가 없도록 확인해야한다. 

Tufts 대학에서 잘 쓴 에세이로 평가되는글을 제시했는데, 에세이 준비를 하면서 도움이 될 수 있도록 그 가운데 하나를 소개한다.

Katherine Glass '18

Dana Hall School, MA

A portrait of Julia Child leansprecariously on my bedside table competing for space with sticky notes,pennies, and a plastic alarm clock. Julia has been my role model ever since Ispent an hour at the Smithsonian American History Museum watching cooking showafter cooking show. As she dropped eggs, burnt soufflés,and prepared a whole pig, she never took herself too seriously and with hergoofy smile and accompanying laugh. And yet, she was as successful in her fieldas anyone could ever be. Her passion completely guided her career. She taughtme that it does not matter what I choose to do, it only matters that I do itwith my whole self; zealously and humorously.

Unlike Julia, I do not aspire to be achef. Brownies out of a box may just be the highlight of my baking career.Something I have been passionate about for my whole life, however, is teaching.The first traces of my excitement came from a summer camp that I founded when Iwas seven years old. Motivated by too many imperfect summer camp experiences, Iestablished my ideal summer camp, one in which campers could choose theiractivities, from banana split tutorials to wacky hat-making. So that year itbegan, with seven five-year-old campers in my backyard. For six consecutiveyears, I ran my summer camp, each year tweaking and improving from the yearsbefore.

Chebeague Island, Maine, established apreschool in the spring of 2012, run out of a trailer by a recent collegegraduate. I volunteered as an intern. For three months, I helped organize forthe summer and the following year. I took out the trash, cleaned, and sortedtoys, all while studying how to incorporate educational material into preschoolactivities. I wrote curriculum and researched preschool regulations to ensurethat we were in compliance. We created a safe classroom, an academic plan forthe upcoming year, and a balance between learning and playing in the classroom.By the end of the summer the intern became the co-director of the summer preschoolprogram.

This past June, I returned to the trailerto find the space and program in complete disarray. Since the previous summer,the preschool had seen two new directors and the latest was spread thin,juggling maintenance, finances and curriculum planning. My progress had notendured. After sulking for a week, I decided I was better suited to envelopJulia’s mentality. What did she do when she flipped a burger onto the ground?She smiled, laughed at the camera, picked it up, reshaped it a little, and keptright on going. So that’s what I did. I brought in a group of friends to cleanand organize the trailer. I initiated a “lobster-roll” fundraiser, and Islandlobstermen donated lobsters while their wives came together to pick meat fromthe shells. It was wildly successful and thrived on the community’s spirit.Then I worked to reinstate some sort of educational value into the summerprogram. We danced to Spanish and Ghanaian music, crafted wacky hats, and readbooks about the lobstering industry, an aspect of their community that is sosignificant.

My past two summers have been exhaustingand all too frequently frustrating but ultimately the Chebeague IslandPreschool, along with many other teaching experiences, has exposed me to theground level of education policy in the United States. After this past summermy goal is to become a future U.S. Secretary of Education.

So my portrait of Julia is by my bedsideto remind me. Remind me that throughout the tedium of my extremely busy lifethere is something that I am passionate about. To remind me that personalityand humor are essential to success. And remind me that the sort of passion Ineed to succeed is not the type that will let me give in to small setbacksalong the way.

, ,

0 Comments
Facebook Twitter KakaoStory KakaoTalk NaverBand