CEO leaves company after refusing to wear mask

YPC News

CEO leaves company after refusing to wear mask

관리자 0

06aeffb388a23c2b2ecd9dcee1b3d6c4_1608751185_2262.jpg

Kelby Krabbenhoft, president and CEO of Sanford Health, poses for a photo at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D., in December 2015. 

Joe Ahlquist | The Argus Leader via AP file

This week, Sanford Health CEO Kelby Krabbenhoft left the company after he refused to wear a mask.

The former CEO refused to wear a mask because he claimed he had already been infected by COVID- 19 and had recovered, which he believed meant that he could no longer contract the virus. 

"The information, science, truth, advice, and growing evidence is that I am immune for at least seven months and perhaps for years to come," said Krabbenhoft in an email to his staff, which was obtained by several news outlets. "For me to wear a mask defies the efficacy and purpose of a mask and sends an untruthful message that I am susceptible to infection or could transmit it."

According to CNN medical analyst Dr. Leana Wen, however, those who recover from the virus may have some immunity, but it is unknown how long it lasts.

Additionally, there are already several cases of reinfections of the virus appearing as of recently.

His statement caused an uproar in the company. Many staff members were outraged at Krabbenhoft's words, especially because of the large number of cases in South Dakota, where their company is stationed. 

Soon after Krabbenhoft released his statement, Sanford Health announced that Krabbenhoft and the company had decided to "mutually part ways" on Tuesday, November 24 in an official news release.

Krabbenhoft stated that he thought "it was a good time to retire" and that the company was "in a good place, stronger than ever."

On Friday, November 27, the company announced in a statement on social media, "Kelby Krabbenhoft’s email was based on his own experience with COVID-19 and his personal opinions about the virus. They do not reflect the views of our health system as a whole."

By Alexandria Kim

0 Comments
Facebook Twitter KakaoStory KakaoTalk NaverBand