The New Supreme Court Nominee

YPC News

The New Supreme Court Nominee

관리자 0

ca4234f09af78fae986714afd0f70c51_1605569198_7104.jpg

On September 26, 2020, President Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to replace Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Being only 48-years old, Barrett may serve the court for decades which may relieve or terrify the American people.

After Justice Neil Gorsuch and Justice Brett Kavanaugh, Trump’s third Supreme Court Justice nomination Amy Coney Barrett could be the 6th Justice appointed by a Republican president against the 3 Justices appointed by Democratic presidents. Calling her a “woman of unparalleled achievement, towering intellect, sterling credentials, and unyielding loyalty, to the Constitution,” Trump praises Barrett in the nomination ceremony. Barrett assures Americans that “If confirmed, I would not assume that role for the sake of those in my own circle, and certainly not for my own sake, [sic] I would assume this role to serve you.”

As election day is inching closer, Trump and many Conservatives are eager to have one last chance should Trump lose the election. Although Democrats protest this development, saying that the Senate should reschedule this nomination, Trump says that all 9 seats of the Supreme Court should be filled before election day in case the court needs to rule in on the election. This nomination is crucial, not only because of a new Supreme Court Justice, but this can be the last straw for abortion rights, pro-immigration acts, and one of the biggest worries, the  Affordable Care Act.

The Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, was signed by former President Obama back in 2010 to make affordable health care and insurance available to millions. Although the act seems beneficial, Conservatives see it as unconstitutional and have tried twice to remove it and failed both times. Now, with possibly another conservative in the Supreme Court, Republicans may have more power to remove the act. 

What do you think of this fight of allowing a third justice appointed by President Trump?

by Kevin Lee

ca4234f09af78fae986714afd0f70c51_1605569227_7612.jpg

0 Comments
Facebook Twitter KakaoStory KakaoTalk NaverBand